First one is Joshua's: Grade 6th:
Front cover of Lapbook:
I allowed him to design his own lapbook and the cover. This was our first real one, eventhough it took a while. As we covered highlights in the Civil War, we put it into our books. Also I allowed the children to make a list of the things that THEY wanted to include in there.This is the inside open:

In here, we did mini-books. In each one, our 11 yo wrote about each battle (narrated) as we studied it. He put specifics in there like, the battle name, the commanding officer, location, number of soliders lost and the significance of that battle.
Here is another fold to the left hand side:
Here our son did two accordian books. One was on the surrender itself and we used pictures off of the internet from the surrender (the real letter, copy of the painting of the surrender) and printed them off on STICKER paper that we got at WM. The other booklet is done on the life of Abraham Lincoln. He did that and illustrated it on his own. It is about 8 pages long.

The fold below has a map that I printed off the internet of the USA. Our son mapped out all of the Civil War Battlefields.

This is an envelope fold. Both boys did this for each the Confederacy (gray) and the Union (blue). The pictures you see (above) are the famous generals that they picked. Again, we found pictures of the generals online, and saved them. We printed them off as thumbnails on our favorite, sticker paper. On the inside of each fold, details important bullet points about each person.

This is the inside of his lapbook. On the left is his vocabulary (our other son did the statistics for each side). The center was used with a template and made to look like a whip. He decided to do that and talk about the slavery. The right hand side is his Civil War Battles map.

To the right is our other sons inside page. To the left and right talks about his statistics for each side. Then the inside layer book is his vocabulary. He was 9 when he did this.
Well I guess that is it for the Civil War Lapbooks. On my next post (probably tomorrow), I will post pictures of our latest dissection and one of the boys' Civil War Scrapbooks. Have a great day!
Southern Belle

6 comments:
Wow! Great lap books! It really looks like they put a lot of time and thought into them. I love seeing work from other hs families. :) Thanks for sharing!
Those are SO COOL! I like how you have the map included in one of your books. As I said on SHS, these are similar in content to what we did in our notebooks last year, but different in that each flapbook has everything included instead of spread out into different sections. Maybe I should have my LG son go ahead and put his 3 colony maps in with the lapbook for that area. Thanks for the ideas!
Those are really nice. I too get very inspired by seeing what others have accomplished. Thanks for sharing so many great pictures.
Jodi from SHS
The Martin's Disney blog is here:
http://www.seedlingstosunflowers.blogspot.com/
Go check it out! It's great fun! Of course the fabulous comments by Lady Why are inspired and, oh, so witty!
where do you find patterns for all of the various folds? I think we may want to try a few new folds in our next flapbook. Of course, I'm not sure when we'll do another one. We did one for each of the 3 colonial regions. Now we are concentrating on mapwork for the Revolutionary War 3 week unit and then we have 2-3 weeks on the Constitution which I'm not sure what we'll do for the hands on portion. I suppose I should check the SHS threads on lapbooks because you've probably posted the resources for flapbooks there. I really liked the envelope fold that you have on here.
Queen Bee,
My favorite resource for folds, etc is the Big Book of Books from Dinah Zike. I have seen a ton of them at the local library. Check there first.
HTH
Beth (Southern Belle)
Post a Comment