Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Labels

Friday, February 09, 2007

Food For Thought

Our son, Mr. Athletic is playing Upward Basketball again this year, at a local church. I enjoy the game of basketball and I have coached for about 10 years. During our practice last Thursday night, the other coach and I were doing devotionals. As the other coach, was explaining commitment (as in committing their lives to Christ), he was saying he understood because he had been married for 17 years. Well the kids (5th and 6th graders), flipped and thought he was older than dirt. When I said it wasn't a big deal, because I had been married 14 1/2 years, their eyes got big and said,

"Wow, What year were you born"

I said, "Well, put it to you this way. I was born the same year, that the first astronaut landed on the moon".

A child, 6th grade, on our team, spoke up and said,
"Oh, that was in 1984!"

I started laughing and asked if he was serious. He said "Yes". I told him I could tell he was a product of our public school system.

I told the boys father, of our conversation. He laughed and said, that they had a "serious" conversation in the car, where the child thought that our First President was "George Bush".

shaking my head, because this IS our future, folks!

Have a terrific weekend.
Southern Belle

No comments: