
Works for ME!
As I told you in my last post, I have been busy finishing up my co-op order for Grain. I have been seeing the trend recently of wheat prices going through the roof. This time last year, wheat was $12 a bag with $5 a pallate shipping. Our order last week was $17.38 a bag and $334 shipping per pallate. It also went up $2 more dollars on Friday. Projections have wheat hitting $50 by the end of summer. Also Rice has quadrupled. Anyway, needless to say, I ordered wheat to stock up on. When storing wheat, btw, it should be stored at about 55 degrees. So we keep our extras in the basement. Anyway, a Works for ME! tip, is that buckets can get pricey if you buy a lot of them, especially food grade buckets. Check with your major grocery stores in the bakery department and even Sam's or Costco. Their food products come in 5 and 6 gallon food grade buckets with lids and they just throw them away!! Now, don't all rush at once, but this will conclude my Works for ME! for today!
**UPDATE** I went into my Sam's today. I picked up 2 5 gallon and 4 6 gallon buckets. They said the best time to come is Thurs-Sat before 3 pm. That is when the cake decorator leaves. I will pick up more tomorrow! Also, Super Walmart's have these buckets also. Check in the bakery department! Yippee!
5 comments:
I keep wondering if I should stock up more grain - we bought a years' supply in the fall....the problem is that we will be moving next summer. ARGH decisions.
DeEtta my friend,
I think that prices will come down a little. Prices are going up due to the drought/flooding AND many wheat, rice and bean farmers are converting their crops to corn. I think after the spike it will come down a little, but with fuel costs (diesel) expected to hit $5/gallon, you would be paying more in shipping.
Could you pretend it is fall, and order for 1/2 a year? That might be a little more logical for you...
Bread Beckers is up to almost $50/bucket on their organic wheats in a bucket (they don't sell bags) and high 30's in non organic but they don't sell soft white in it.
Well, hopefully you will get transferred closer to the South East! We would love to see ya!
Beth
Thanks for the idea! I've never thought about doing that...I bought a bucket w/ sealing lid at our co-op for $10! I'll be sure to ask next time I go to Wal-Mart.
Yippee! Thanks for the great tip!! I'll be hitting our Sam's on Monday!
Thanks! I have to check next time I go to Sam's Club. I need somewhere to put my bread flour.
Post a Comment